These slow cooked black beans have way more flavor than any canned beans you buy. It is super easy and economical too! A 1 pound bag of dried beans is pretty inexpensive. Once cooked these beans can be put into freezer bags or freezer containers and frozen for future use. We usually eat them all before that happens.
Black Beans – Slow Cooker
- 1 pound dried black beans, rinsed with cold water and any broken beans or pebbles tossed out
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- optional – 1 teaspoon Table Tasty salt substitute or salt of your choice
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper, minced, optional – ( I didn’t use it this time)
- 6 1/2 cups water
- optional one piece of kombu to help make the beans have less gas
- juice of one lemon or lime
Combine all ingredients except lemon or lime juice in slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours or until beans are tender. Mine took about 4 hours. Add lemon or lime juice and stir. Leftover beans can be frozen in freezer bags or freezer safe containers for future use.
Recipe inspired from Smitten Kitchen and Mom’s Kitchen Handbook
Be sure to check out my Amazon Affiliate Recommendation Page where I share some of my favorite products for using in my kitchen, hiking and so on! When you purchase items through my affiliate links you help support the work here on the blog without any additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.