I actually doubled this recipe for Chana Masala when I made it so we would have some leftovers and I am so glad I did. Garbanzo beans are cooked with fresh onions, tomatoes, garlic and seasoned with a delicious array of aromatic Indian spices. This is my new favorite comfort food!
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup onions
- 1 piece ginger root — 1 inch piece,peeled, finely minced
- 2 each garlic cloves — minced
- 1 each jalapeno chile pepper — use enough to suit your taste, finely minced (I used about 1/3)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala — or more to taste — see note below
- 14 ounces garbanzo beans, canned — drained
- 1 tablespoon water or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper — to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice -optional- it adds a “sour” note to the dish.
In blender or small food processor chop the onion into almost a fine paste, then remove and do the same with the tomatoes. Heat water or brothl in a medium sauce pan on medium-high heat. When water or broth is hot, add cumin seeds, onion and garlic, stirring frequently, cook onion mixture until almost all of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in tomatoes and repeat until you have a pretty thick mixture. Add remaining ingredients (except for cilantro) along with about 1/3 – 2/3 cup water and allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes. Using the end of a wooden spoon crush some of the chick peas to thicken the sauce. Cook until the sauce has reduced and you have a thicker consistency. Remove from heat, stir in optional lemon juice if using and add fresh chopped cilantro on top. Serve over rice if desired with some raita, plain yogurt or sour cream on the side.
Yield: 3 servings
If you can’t find the spice mix, make your own!
Garam Masala spice mix From Pioneer Woman:
1 tablespoon coriander; ground
1 tablespoon cumin; ground
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper; ground
1 tablespoon fennel seeds; ground
1 tablespoon ginger; ground
1 tablespoon cardamom; ground
1 tablespoon nutmeg; ground
1 TEASPOON cloves; ground
Mix together and store in a jar.
Recipe Adapted from the Cooking Light Message board, recipe posted by Nmody who’s mother is a Indian Caterer.
Leave a Reply