This Indian inspired dish isn’t too spicy – it’s just the right balance of spices. We served it over a hot baked sweet potato but it would be equally delicious over a bed of your favorite grain like brown rice, quinoa or couscous. If you prefer to skip the extra carbs you could choose to serve it over a bed of cooked spinach or kale. I also made a topping of Raita using a soy yogurt and it turned it really well. The leftovers were just as good as day one. M-m-m-m- so flavorful! To make this Ultimate Weight Loss compliant leave off the soy yogurt topping. Note: The Thai Red Curry Paste is not salt free.
- 1 large onion cut into medium dice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 -2 jalapeno peppers or to your personal preference stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon garam masala spice mix
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 14.5 ounce canned fire roasted diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 cups vegetable broth – no salt added
- 2 15.5 ounce canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro plus extra for garnish
- Over medium heat in a soup kettle or Dutch oven add onions with 2 tablespoons water; sauté until tender, adding more water if needed, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno, and ginger; sauté until fragrant, about a minute longer.
- Add garam masala, curry paste, cumin and turmeric; continue to cook until fragrant, just a few seconds. Add tomatoes, broth, and chickpeas; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer to reduce to thick stew consistency, about 15 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro and let stand a few minutes to blend flavors.
- Use extra cilantro to garnish each plated serving.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Nutmeg Notebook is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program that is designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support.
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canada we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Occasionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl salad bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.