The photo doesn’t do this dessert any justice. It’s so difficult to get good photos at night this time of year – sigh. It’s time to fess up and share with you that the base of this decadent dessert is none other than a can of cannelleni beans (or a box if you buy the no salt added 365 brand at Whole Foods). I know it sounds strange but it works beautifully. They blend up all nice, smooth and creamy are very neutral in flavor so there is no “beanie” taste going on. The incredible Debby at The Healthy Librarian blog came up with this amazing recipe.
We enjoyed it with some fresh strawberries I bought at Trader Joe’s. They were perfect together but raspberries would also be delightful! I must warn you that this is loaded with caffeine – the recipe calls for instant espresso powder. You might remember that I gave coffee up last March when I began a plant based diet. I enjoyed this dessert at about 7:00 in the evening and I barely got a wink of sleep that night!
I think it would still be good without the instant espresso if you want to avoid an all nighter. Ha ha! Or another option would be to brew some strong decaf coffee and use it in place of water in the recipe. A little orange juice could be a nice flavor too or if you are into chocolate mint some fresh mint leaves or mint extract would work! Take the basic recipe and have fun with it. I plan on trying several different versions.
Chocolate Ganache Pudding
- 1 15- ounce can cannellini beans no salt added drained (you could sub garbanzo beans but they do have a stronger flavor)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter almond butter, cashew butter or defatted peanut flour or PB2.
- 1/2 cup organic Cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa
- 2–4 tablespoons date syrup for sweetness if needed
- 1 teaspoon of decaf instant espresso coffee – optional or Dandy Blend
- 4 large pitted Medjool dates that are moist and plump
- 1 teaspoon of good quality real vanilla extract or vailla powder
- 1/2 cup water or more if needed
- pinch of salt – optional but it does help bring out the sweetness
- Throw everything into a food processor, process until smooth adding more water if needed. I made it in my high powered blender and it worked well but you won’t be able to make it in a regular blender as it is very thick. You can make it as thin or thick as you want. Add less water for more of a ganache, frosting or hummus texture. If you want more of a pudding/mousse add more liquid such as water, juice or almond milk.
- Debby used the bean liquid instead of water but I thought the drained bean liquid looked unappealing and went with water.
- Serving Suggestions: spread on chunks of bananas, use to frost cupcakes, cookies or brownies, serve in small dishes garnished with cut up strawberries or raspberries. It would be pretty layered in dessert shot glasses alternating with layers of fresh fruit!
Recipe from The Healthy Librarian
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood bowl to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.