A delicious, slightly nutty flavored dip perfect for an appetizer, snack or part of a lunch with whole wheat pita bread, pita chips, crudités or spread on a whole wheat wrap or flat bread.
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (Garbanzo beans), low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice (start with 2 and add a third if desired)
- 2 Tablespoons tahini (can be found in health food stores, Whole Foods and some grocery stores)
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (start with 1/2 t and add more if needed)
- pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Put all of the ingredients in a food processor or a powerful blender (I use my Blendtec), scrape down the sides when needed. Process until the mixture is creamy smooth.
2. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl, cover and chill until ready to serve.
Yield: about 1 3/4 cups
Serving Size 1/4 cup
Per Serving; 89 Calories, 3 g Fat, 12 Carbs, 4.4 g Protein, 3.6 g Fiber, 200 mg Sodium
A Nutmeg Notebook recipe.