The results were well worth the effort. To stay with the Mexican theme I served my burger on a warmed corn tortilla, topped with shredded romaine and salsa. On the side was a small serving of refried beans and Fiesta Rice – recipe coming soon. The burger is super flavorful and it’s quite filling too.
Mexicano Veggie Burger
- 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 – oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ yellow onion, diced – optional – lately I have been leaving this out and they are still just as good.
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- ¼ cup ketchup
In a large bowl combine the beans,oats, brown rice, onions,seasonings and ketchup. Transfer mixture to the work bowl of your food processor and pulse a few times – until it sticks together. Depending on the size of your FP you might have to do this in two batches.
Divide mixture into 8 evenly sized patties. Cook in a nonstick frying pan sprayed with a little non stick spray for about 4 minutes per side.
Yield: 8 burgers
Recipe inspired by StraightUpFood Veggie Burgers and Jeff Novick’s Basic Veggie Burger recipe.