Red Lentil Chili
Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker
- One pound Red Lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2- 14.5 ounce fire roasted tomatoes no salt added
- 1 – 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 10 ounces chopped onion – about 3 cups
- 1 pound red bell pepper – approx 2 large
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes – optional
- 4 dates – optional
In a large blender container combine the tomatoes, red bell peppers, garlic and dates – if using them, process until smooth.
Pour the blender contents into the Instant Pot pressure cooker along with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for 10 minutes.
Slow Cooker: follow the directions but cook in a slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve over brown rice, quinoa, a baked potato or a baked sweet potato. Add some sliced green onions and fresh cilantro if desired.
Recipe from Chef AJ and shared with her permission.
A Little Nutmeg Nugget: When I started this blog in January of 2010 I followed what I understood to be a healthy version of the standard American diet, ironically also known as the “SAD” diet. As interest in my own health and how it was affected by the food I ate evolved, I transitioned to a whole food plant based diet also known as “WFPB” diet. I have wrestled with the fact that this blog still contains all those posts and recipes from the SAD way of eating I have left behind. I no longer advocate for anyone to eat that way. At this time I am leaving those recipes and posts here. It is a record of my journey and how I came to follow a WFPB way of eating. It is my hope that those who still come here for those old recipes will be curious about what I am doing now. Perhaps they will dip their toes across the line as I did and try some plant based recipes and learn more about the health benefits.