A delightful whole food plant based version of a ricotta cheese that will knock your socks off! It is creamy, scrumptious and mimicks it’s dairy counterpart and will even fool the non plant based eaters in your life. It only takes a few minutes to make this recipe – easy peasy. I like easy. It is perfect for layering in lasagna, on top of your pizza, or on top of a baked potato.
In this version I added almonds and spinach so I can use it as a filling for lasgana. No one would know this was made with tofu.
You have the option of making it with nuts or not – it is good both ways. Of course with nuts it is extra rich and creamy but also higher in fat. Our oldest granddaughter used to eat a version made with nuts all the time – it was one of her favorite things to eat with a spoon!
For lasagna I like to add the spinach to it – it boosts the nutrition and the flavor and adds so much color to it!
Lasagna recipe coming soon!
It adds a wonderful creamy layer of deliciousness to a hearty oil free lasagna. You can put it on your vegan pizza, spread it on Mary’s Gone Crackers, put it on a baked potato or air fry some slices of potato and spread the tofu ricotta over the top.
Basil Tofu Ricotta
- Food Processor
- ½ cup raw blanched almonds or cashews – optional soaked with boiling water to cover for 30 minutes, then drained
- 14 ounces Firm Organic Tofu pressed 1 hour and drained
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil or ¼ cup fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast – optional but good
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach – optional thawed and squeezed dry. – optional
- If using the optional nuts – put the blanched almonds in a small bowl and cover with boiling water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with an “S” blade add the optional soaked, drained almonds – if using them, the pressed tofu, lemon juice, garlic cloves, dried basil, black pepper and nutritional yeast. Process until creamy smooth, scraping down the sides when needed.
- If using the ricotta for a lasagna filling add the optional spinach and process until well incorporated.
When you purchase items through my affiliate links you help support the work here on Nutmeg Notebook without any additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood bowl to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.