That’s right you can still enjoy Chips & Salsa on a whole food plant based SOS Free (salt, oil sugar free) lifestyle! We made a video to show you how easy it is to make your own fresh salsa with simple ingredients that everyone should have access to. Our daughter learned how to make this delicious Latin American favorite called Chimol from her sister in law Annie and then she taught me how to make it. I’ll pass it forward to you and hope that you too will pass it forward and share the method with your family and friends. You will also see how easy it is to make oil free corn tortilla chips in an air fryer. Are you ready to make some guilt free chips and salsa?
This is a method for making salsa and chips – you don’t have to be exact with measurements for the salsa ingredients it’s to taste – your personal preferences come into play here. I know that’s difficult for some of you because you like exact measurements. What makes a good salsa is different from one person to another. Some like it hot, some like it mild. Some like lots of cilantro others prefer just a little – you might like more lime flavor and so on. You can control the ingredients and make it exactly to your preference!
I’m giving you guidelines and some basic measurements to start with and then you can have fun with it and adjust the ingredients according to your personal preference!
Simple easy to obtain ingredients that are available at your local grocery store.
I love the Vidalia Chop Wizard for this recipe. It’s so atrractive to have everything chopped small and all the same size. The Chop Wizard makes quick & easy work of getting it all to look so uniform and pretty!
I prefer the Vidalia Chop Wizard from Amazon over the one from Bed Bath & Beyond because this one comes with the additional easy cleaning lift tab shown here in the photo. It makes clean up a breeze!
You can make as much or as little salsa as you wish. It lasts about 3-4 days in the fridge.
You can make a larger quantity of chips ahead and keep them in an air tight container for days. We like to make our own chips to take with us if we are eating out at a restuarant that has salsa. That way we can enjoy the salsa and not compromise our food plan.
Serve up the salsa with all of your favorite Latin American dishes. Shown here is a Big Beautiful Chopped Salad on the bottom. Then topped with some Zesty Quinoa Black Bean Salad and plenty of the fresh salsa with lots of the delcious liquid from the salsa bowl. No need for any dressing with this.
Guilt Free Chips & Salsa – Chimol
- 8-10 Plum tomatoes diced
- 11 ounces red onion diced (weighed before peeled and trimmed)
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers diced, seeded or not – to taste
- 2-3 limes juiced – or to taste
- 1 lemon juiced – or to taste
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro washed and chopped – or to taste
Oil Free Chips
- Corn Tortillas – no salt – no oil – gluten free cut into 8ths
- Dice the tomatoes, red onion and jalapeno.
- Stir together in a bowl with the lime and lemon juice. After adding the lemon and lime juice taste to see if you want more or not.
- Add the chopped cilantro and stir to incorporate it. Chill and enjoy with chips!
Air Fried Corn Tortilla Chips – No Oil
- Cut corn tortillas into 8ths and place on the air fryer rack. Place in a cold Breville Smart Oven Air fryer.
- Set temperature to 375 degrees and set timer for 9 minutes.
- Different air fryers may require a different temperature and or time. Also different brands of corn tortillas take different times – depends on how thick they are are and how wet they are. Keep a close on them as they can go from lightly brown to burnt quickly!
- If you don't own an air fryer you can still make good chips in your oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cut corn tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat mat or parchment paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Time will vary depending on your oven the brand of tortillas used.
We buy these organic corn tortillas at Costco, Whole Foods and Safeway.
For those of you who have a Breville Smart Oven Air here is a photo of the placement of the tortillas that Tom had figured out so you can get 5 tortillas worth of chips on one rack!
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! When you use our affiliate links you helps support our work here with out any extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood bowl to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a FREE MESSALUNA KNIFE with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.