If you know me or have followed my blog for any length of time you know how much I love my chopped salads. This new one may very well be my favorite version of a chopped salad yet! I have been making this for my lunch every day for weeks and I look forward to it every single day. All the yummy salad ingredients are chopped and then topped with a diced crisp sweet apple, sweet juicy mandarin orange segments, beautiful ruby red pomagranate seeds and the crowning touch are these crispy Japanese Sweet Potato Croutons! No need for dressing just a drizzle of your favorite sweet balsamic vinegar. Everyone who has tried this salad has loved, loved, loved it. I can’t even adequately express to you how delicious this combination of flavors is.
On a recent visit with my parents I made this salad every day that I was at their house and they loved it! They are not plant based but, delicious food is delicious, even if it’s healthy! My mom even continued to make this salad after I left.
The Crispy Japanese Sweet Potato Croutons make this salad extra special. They are all nice and crispy on the outside and ooey – gooey sweet on the inside! I take an already baked, cold JSP (Japanese Sweet Potato) from the fridge, cut it up and place it in a cold air fryer set to 400 degrees and air fry it for 20 minutes or until lightly brown. The air frying brings out even more of the natural sweetness in the JSP and makes it infinitely more falvorful. If you don’t have an air fryer you can use your broiler. Just watch them very closely because they can burn easily. If you own a 6 or 8 QT electric pressure cooker you can purchase the Mealthy CrispLid to turn it into an air fryer! It’s an economical way to have an air fryer that doesn’t take up a lot of room.
This is one of those salads that you can make and take to a pot luck or serve to company when entertaining in your home. It’s special enough to serve at the holidays too! To see how to batch prep the salads in advance so you will always have salads ready to eat read this post and watch the video – Simple Salad Batch Prep.
I hope you enjoy the video!
It is such a beautiful salad – it will add so much to a buffet table with it’s color, beauty and let’s not forget amazing flavor! You can change up the fruit as the seasons change. In the Spring use fresh blueberries, strawberries and garnish with gorgeous red raspberries.
I take this salad with me when I am going to be away from home during lunch. The Ziplock 9 cup containers will hold my chopped salad. The salad container fits well into my ebag Crew cooler lunch bag too. I just toss in a couple of freezer ice packs and my salad stays nice and cold for hours.
This is a simple recipe with just a few ingredients. But don’t let that fool you – it’s big on flavor. Each and every bite is an explosion of delciousness in your mouth.
Choose your favorite sweet and syrupy Balsamic Vinegar – this is all you need to dress the salad. I like either the Napa Valley Naturals Grand Reserve Balsamic or California Balsamic Simply Lemon vinegar in this salad. To learn more about California Balsamic read my blog post and find out how to get two free samples with your order!
Chopped Salad with Japanese Sweet Potato Croutons
- Holland Bowl, Mezzaluna Knife, Cutting Board, Sharp Knife
- 1 pound salad mixture including greens and vegetables of your choice
- 1 each crisp sweet apple, cored and diced
- 2 each mandarin oranges, peeled, segemented & cut in half
- 1/3 cup pomagranate seeds
- 1 8-12 ounce baked Japanese Sweet Potato cold, cut into pieces with skin on
- 2 tbsp Sweet Balasamic Vinegar 4% acidity Napapa Valley Naturals Grand Reserve or California Balsamic Simply Lemon are two of my favorites for this salad.
- To make the JSP croutons, place the cold diced sweet potato pieces in a cold air fryer set to 400 degrees. Air fry for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. If You don't have an air fryer you can crisp them up under the broiler. Watch them carefully as they go from lightly brown to burnt in a hurry.
- While the croutons are in the air fryer, chop the salad with a mezzaluna knife in a wood bowl or you can use a large knife and a large cutting board or one of the other methods I show in my video on how to chop a salad without a wood bowl.
- Add the diced apple, mandarin oranges, pomagranate seeds, JSP croutons and the balsamic vinegar of your choice. Gently stir all of the ingredients together and place it in a pretty bowl to serve. Many different flavors would work well with this salad. Don't add the vinegar until your are ready to serve the salad as it is best served freshly tossed.
I mentioned Tom’s Mexican Chopped Salad during the video. You can see the video of him making the Mexican Chopped Salad here. He starts making the salad at about 44 minutes into the video.
When you purchase items through my affiliate links you help support the work here on Nutmeg Notebook without any additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood bowl to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.