This all came about because I bought peaches at Costco and they all became ripe at the same time! Necessity is the mother of invention and that is often how things come about in my kitchen. This isn’t a traditional pie of course – no fattening ingredients were used in this Pie. No added sugar either just lots of delicious fresh peaches, some oats, amazing Gingerbread spice from Local Spicery and a couple bananas and some other ingredients and ooh la la that is how we end up with a Perfectly Peachy Pie!
Of course a slice of Perfectly Peachy Pie is even better when served warm, a la mode with delicious Banana Nice Cream made in the Champion Juicer!
I got out a deep dish pie plate and cut those washed peaches into bite size pieces until the deep dish pie plate was heaped with peaches! I didn’t count how many it took. Maybe 6 -8. Just use as many as it takes to fill your pie plate.
I tossed the peaches with 2 teaspoons of Local Spicery Gingerbread Spice, (could sub cinnamon – write Nutmeg Notebook in the comments section at check out when ordering from Local Spicery and they will include 2 free samples with your order! Check out their SOS FREE Spice Blends) 1 tablespoon of California Balsamic Fig vinegar and 1 tablespoon of white chia seeds to thicken the peach juices. You can use any flavor of balsamic vinegar you like the best but use one that is thick, syrupy and sweet. If you order from California Balsamic put Nutmeg Notebook in the comments section at the check out and you will get 2 free sample size bottles with your order! Put the flavors you want to try in the comment section as well. If you don’t have a sweet vinegar that’s ok it will still be delicious!
The white chia seeds look prettier in this than regular black chia seeds. I found white ones at Whole Foods and I like to use them to thicken things that are lighter in color.
The topping was easy to put together using my Quinoa Banana Oat Muffin Mix. Two cups of muffin mix plus 2 small bananas mashed and about 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce, 2 teaspoons Local Spicery Gingerbread Spice mix (could sub cinnamon), 2 tablespoons date paste – optional mix all together and spread evenly over the top of the peaches. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake until golden brown – about 40 minutes.
It smells so delcious as it is baking – the aroma fills the house with warm spices. Put the tea kettle on and enjoy a hot cup of herbal tea along with …
… a slice of warm Perfectly Peachy Pie a la mode with Banana Nice Cream. We made frozen banana “nice cream” in our Champion Juicer and it’s so creamy – just like soft serve you would get in a specialty shop! You can make frozen fruit “nice cream” in your mini food processor, Vitamix or Blendtec or in the Yonanas machine and they all turn out good. Our favorite is the Champion juicer – the texture is unbelievable!
Pure peachy delciousness! I am thinking pears and apples with some cranberries would be good too. I baked it in my Breville Smart Oven Air which is a toaster oven, an air fryer, a dehydrator a broiler and so much more! We use it everyday.
Try using a combination of fruits as well. Peaches and strawberries or peaches and blueberries, peaches and cherries. No peaches – try mango – yum!
Perfectly Peachy Pie SOS Free
- Oven, Pie Plate
- 6-8 each fresh peaches not peeled cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon California Balsamic Fig Vinegar or your favorite flavor of sweet vinegar -optional – it will be good without this.
- 1 Tablespoon White Chia Seeds
- 2 teaspoons Local Spicery Gingerbread Spice or cinnamon
Crust – Top Only
- 2 cups Quiona Banana Oat Muffin Mix see recipe below
- 2 teaspoons Local Spicery Gingerbread Spice Mix or cinnamon
- 2 small Bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons Date paste – optional
- Wash and cut the unpeeled peaches into bit size pieces. Fill the pie plate with them. How many peaches will depend on how big your pie plate is and how big your peaches are.
- Add the Gingerbread spice mix or ground cinnamon, vinegar and the white chia seeds to the peaches – stir to combine.
Crust – Top Only
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash the bananas, stir in the applesauce and the Gingerbread Spice mix or ground cinnamon. Add the mashed banana mixture to the 2 cups of Quinoa Banana Oat Muffin Mix and stir well to combine.
- Spread over the peaches and take it all the way to the edge of the pie plate to help keep the peach juices from bubbling over.
- Bake for about 35 – 40 minutes or until crust is lightly golden brown.
- Let cool before trying to cut. Store leftovers in the fridge. Serve a la mode if desired. I am thinking this could be good with fresh pears or apples and cranberries!
I mix up the Quinoa Banana Oat Muffin Mix to keep in my pantry as I use it in so many recipes not just muffins!
If you want to make the muffins or one of the other scrumptious recipes using this muffin mix check out this blog post on Quiona Banana Oat Muffins. You can make Jammie Bars, Cherry Peach Cobbler, or Minnie Jammies.
For the muffin mix you can use all old fashioned or rolled oats in place of the ground quinoa, quinoa flakes or the quick cooking steel cut oats. That would be 5 cups total of rolled oats for the muffin mix. I just like the nutritional profile of using the different grains but it does still work with all rolled oats.
I think bananas work best because of their sweetness and moisture content. But if you can’t use bananas, try pureed or mashed very ripe mango or plantains or very moist and sweet oven roasted Hannah Yams or Japanese Sweet Potatoes. If you use the sweet potatoes or yams you might need more applesauce added to the batter to make it spreadable. You might have to add more date paste for sweetness.
Quinoa Banana Oat Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup prewashed quinoa -dry – uncooked ground into a powder – see video for making the muffins – if you can’t find prewashed quinoa* try using ground millet instead or quinoa flakes or quinoa flour or 1/2 c oats
- 2 cups Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats** see note below recipe – (you can use old fashioned oats instead)
- 2 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Oats or Rolled Oats – use certified gluten free oats to make these gluten free
- 1/4 cup ground golden flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder – optional it only helps them rise a little and it adds sodium so now I skip it.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg – freshly ground is best – you can use the pre-ground
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a storage container with a tight lid. I usually make up 4 muffin mixes at a time and store them in my pantry so I can always make a special dessert, bars or muffins at a moments notice.
**If you don’t have Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats you can put regular steel cut oats in your food processor and using the pulse function you can cut them smaller which is what has been done at the factory to make them quick cooking. You can use all old fashioned oats or rolled oats instead of the quinoa flakes and quick cooking steel cut oats. This would be a total of 5 cups of rolled oats for the recipe. I would grind 1/2 up of the oats into a flour in the blender.
- 8 ounces Medjool dates – pitted
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanlla powder or vanilla extract
- Soak the pitted dates in the water over night or at least 4 hours to help them soften. Place in a mini food processor and blend until smooth. It can be refrigerated or frozen. I freeze mine because I don't use it very often. It can be used to sweeten baked goods and desserts.
When you purchase items through my affiliate links you help support the work here on Nutmeg Notebook without any additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood bowl to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.