I have been making nachos using air fried potatoes for quite some time and I was calling them potato nachos. Then I watched the Game Changers movie and learned a new name for them Ponachos! This is my version of healthy SOS Free (salt, oil & sugar) plant based vegan nachos now lovingly called ponachos. The based is oil free air fried potatoes instead of chips. Then I top them with my favorite home cooked seasoned black beans and my never before published Vegan Chipotle Cheeze Sauce!
I make them a little different depending on what I have on hand. This one has Air Fried Smashed Potatoes, Cumin Black Beans – recipe below, Corn, Vegan Chipotle Cheeze Sauce – recipe below, green onions, fresh cilantro and chopped tomatoes. Ole! You could also use the Chili Taco Lentils or the Taco Lentils in the pressure cooker recipe from my Mexican Fiesta Cooking Webinar. Tami’s Easy Red Salsa is a nice touch as well as the Easy Salsa Verde. When you make your own salsa you can control the amount of salt, sugar and heat!
First make a batch of my Cumin Black Beans – recipe below. This recipe also works well with pinto beans. While the beans are cooking make a batch of the Chipotle Cheeze Sauce – recipe below and salsa if you wish. Slice some green onions, chop fresh cilantro and dice some tomatoes.
In this video we show you how to make our favorite Cumin Black Beans in our Mealthy 2.0 6 QT Electric Pressure Cooker and we share for the first time Tami’s new Chipotle Nacho Cheeze Sauce recipe!
When your toppings are ready prepare a batch of Oil Free Air Fried Smashed Potatoes.
Top with all your favorite nachos toppings and you have yourself a scrumptious plate of Ponachos!
Cumin Black Beans – Pressure Cooker
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- 1 pound dried black beans (or pinto beans) rinsed with cold water and any broken beans or pebbles tossed out
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Table Tasty salt substitute or salt substitute of your choice
- 2 tablespoons fresh jalapeno pepper minced, optional or 1/4 tsp jalapeno powder
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 1 each juice of 1 lime added after the beans are cooked
- Combine all ingredients except lime juice in electric pressure cooker, set timer for 45 minutes, natural pressure release. When beans are done cooking, add the juice of 1 lime if desired.
Slow Cooker Method
- Place all ingredients except lime juice in a slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours or until beans are tender. Mine took about 4 hours. Add lime juice if desired and stir. Leftover beans can be frozen in freezer bags or freezer safe containers for future use.
- Store in the refrigerator and eat with in 3-5 days. Beans may be frozen in freezer bags or freezer safe containers.
- This recipe works well with pinto beans too.
The Chipotle Nacho Cheeze Sauce is delicious on vegetables – drizzle it on corn on the cob. It is amazing! See our video on How To Make Corn on the Cob in a pressure cooker.
Chipotle Nacho Cheese Sauce
- High Powered Blender
- 2 cups Cooked white potato – peeled, microwaved, boiled or steamed
- 1 cup Cooked carrots – peeled – microwaved, boiled or steamed
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon jalapeno powder or to taste or use a fresh jalapeno
- Put all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend for 2-3 minutes or until smooth and creamy. If you blend it long enough in a Vitamix or Blendtec blender it will get nice and hot!
- This sauce does firm up when refrigerated and if it gets too thick thin it with some unsweetened plant milk or water when reheating to make it pourable again.
- Keep it refrigerated – it will last for 5-6 days. The sauce does get thicker when refrigerated so when reheating you can add a little water or unsweetened plant milk and heat it up in the microwave on 50% power to heat it up gently. Or put it in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring while it heats up.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.