It’s that time of year when we want all things pumpkin! This is a pumpkin version of my favorite Quinoa Banana Oat Muffin recipe. These are a dense filling muffin with all the fun flavors of pumpkin spice. If you prefer you can even bake them up as cookies! Can’t decide – then make half into muffins and the rest into cookies. I aim to please.
Since these are oil free, refined sugar free and flour free – they are not light and fluffy. No – these are a dense hearty muffin that will surely fill you up for hours. They are made with all nutrient dense ingredients for optimal nutrition and yet they are delicious!
Simple pantry items are used in this recipe – you might already have everything on hand to make these. Local Spicery has all of my favorite spices and they have a nice selection of SOS free spice blends. like Pumpkin Spice and more. Put Nutmeg Notebook in the message box at checkout and get 2 free samples with your order.
You can make muffins or cookies. These don’t rise so they will be whatever shape they are when you put them in the oven.
You can use a 2 ounce food scoop or a 1/3 cup measure cup for making the cookies. I pat them down to make them a uniform shape and size.
I love the cookie shape – perfect with a hot cup of herbal tea or the Warm Chai Almond Milk.
These are perfect for taking with you on the go. Great for hikes, bike riding, in your lunch box. Wonderful for children and adults alike. They freeze well too. Make a double batch and freeze them so you will always have some on hand.
You can order these dark chocolate no sugar added chocolate chips from Santa Barbara Chocolate. You can use some of these instead of raisins in this recipe if you wish.
Use our Affiliate Code “Nutmeg 15” to receive 15% off your order, Enjoy!
Time Saving Tip: Make your own muffin/cookie mixes. While you have all the ingredients out go ahead and batch prep a couple extra containers of just the dry ingredients. That way you can make muffins or cookies quickly whenever you want! Just add the wet ingredients and in just a few minutes you have muffins and or cookies in the oven!
Pumpkin Spice Oat Muffins & Cookies
- Blender, Mixing Bowl, muffin pan, baking sheet
- 14 ounces very ripe banana or about 1 3/4 cups mashed banana
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree no sugar added
- 1/2 cup applesauce no sugar added
- 6 each Medjool dates, pitted or to taste
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes or ground quinoa or ground millet or ground oats
- 2 cups quick cooking steel cut oats if you only have regular steel cut oats just process them in a food processor to make them smaller
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats or old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
- 1 -1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice – start with 1 tbls and add more if you wish. I like 1 1/2 tablespoons.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or unsweetened chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender container add banana, pumpkin puree, applesauce and dates and process until smooth and creamy. Set aside while preparing the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine the quinoa flakes, quick cooking steel cut oats, rolled oats, golden flaxseed meal, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla powder and raisins. Stir to combine.
- Add the contents of the blender to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- If the muffin batter is too wet add more oats until it is the right consistency. See the video to see how I like the batter to be.
- If making muffins use a 1/2 cup measure cup to measure out the batter into each muffin cup. I like silicone muffin pans but you can also use regular muffin tins with parchment liners.
- If making cookies I use a 2 ounce food scoop, you can also use a 1/3 cup measuring cup. Portion the cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Using a silicone spatula flatten the cookies so they are a uniform shape.
- Bake muffins for 30 minutes, cookies for 25 minutes.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canada we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Occasionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.