We had a family gathering recently and our daughter wanted to make a salad that I could also enjoy. I have a gluten sensitivity as well as being SOS free whole food plant based / vegan. Our daughter always goes out of her way to accomodate my dietary needs. Since she is also an amazing home cook I really benefit from her culinary creations. The Quiona Tabbouleh she came up with is amazing! I love how easy it is to make yet it has incredible flavor. The rest of the family was swooning over it as well. It just goes to show that you don’t have to use salt, oil, sugar or gluten to have delicious tasting food.
Lemon juice is a key ingredient in this light and lively salad. Lemon juice is a nice flavoring especially if you are limiting your sodium intake. The sour and salty taste buds reside close together on the tongue so the sour flavor of lemon juice tricks the taste buds into thinking this is salty.
Oh my you will be delighted at how much flavor this simple list of ingredients provides. Fresh herbs are amazing!
This recipe uses fresh mint and fresh Italian flat leaf parsely – talk about a punch of flavor! The easiest way to chop fresh herbs is in the 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill solid wood bowl with a mezzaluna knife. It contains all the little bits of chopped herbs – quick and easy. Use my Holland Bowl Mill Affiate Link to get a free mezzaluna knife with your $125 minimum bowl order. You will also get free engraving and free shipping!
Prep all of your ingredients ahead of time and when it’s time to assemble this recipe goes together quickly and easily.
Shown in the photo above are a few of my favorite Holland Bowl Mill products. Shown are the 6 inch bowls, a 9 inch ebonized cherry bowl, 12 x 18 cutting board and a round cherry centerpiece. In the background is my 15 inch cherry fruit bowl. In addition to these we use our 15 inch bowl daily to make our Chopped Salads. Use my Affiliate Link to browse their amazing website.
This salad is perfect as part of a Mediterranean Feast shown above. See the Oil Free Falafel Post for all the details and recipe links.
Nutmeg Notebook’s Quinoa Tabbouleh Gluten Free
- 1 cup quinoa prewashed or rinsed then cooked.
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsely
- 1 small red onion diced
- 3 Persian cucumbers diced
- 1 pound sweet cherry sugar plum or grape tomatoes, diced
- 3 lemons juiced – around 1/2 cup fresh juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To cook the quinoa in the 3 QT Instant pot – place 1 cup of rinsed quinoa with 1 1/4 cups water in the liner. Put the lid on and set the timer for 5 minutes – high pressure with natural release. When the quinoa is done, spread it out on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet to cool. Place in the fridge if you need to cool it down quickly. When cool add it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir gently to combine. Chill before serving. Give it a gentle stir before serving.
When you use our affliate links you help support our work here without any extra cost to you. Thank you for your support. Check out our Amazon Affiliate Page to see our favorite kitchen gadgets, small kitchen appliances, pantry items, hiking products and even fun things for the grandchildren!
The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. We use our 15 inch Beechwood bowl to chop our salads everyday. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how to get a free mezzaluna knife with your order as well as free engraving and free shipping.