Have you noticed that pressure cooking is all the rage these days? Well that and Air Fryers! Today though we are talking pressure cooking. My Friend Joanna Burris Lackey from Chef AJ’s Ultimate Weight Loss Program is a dynamite cook. She has created so many wonderful recipes that she has generously shared with our group on the private UWL facebook page. Joanna graciously gave me permission to share her BBQ Lentils recipes here on the blog. Joanna cooks for a large family so her recipes feed a crowd. You can cut this recipe in half if you want to but I like to make the full recipe and then freeze some in two serving containers. This way you always have an easy meal to put together even if you don’t have time to cook.
This is my favorite way to eat the BBQ Lentils. I take a pre-baked Japanese Sweet potato cut it in half and heat it up in the Breville Smart Oven Air at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. If you don’t have an air fryer try putting your pre-baked potato under the broiler to brown it just a little. Put a layer of fresh spinach on the bottom of the serving dish, add the hot potato and the hot BBQ Lentils. I love how the BBQ flavored lentils contrast with the sweetness of the sweet potato. I can’t even describe to you how delicious this is. You can also serve the lentils over the top of a baked Yukon Gold potato, a baked yam, quinoa, brown rice, your favorite greens or oven fries.
Pressure Cooker BBQ Lentils
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 pounds dry brown lentils sorted & rinsed
- 2 large onions diced
- 3-15 oz. cans no salt added diced tomatoes drained
- fresh spinach leaves torn into small pieces, as desired
- Mairead’s BBQ Sauce
- 12 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. allspice optional if desired
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 6 oz. Napa Valley Grand Reserve Vinegar – the thick one
- 2 oz. lemon juice
- Place lentils in pressure cooker and add water to 10 cup mark.
- Add diced onion.
- Put lid on pressure cooker with valve in sealing position.
- Set timer to 18 minutes.
- Allow natural pressure release.
- Make BBQ Sauce while lentils are cooking. Simply mix all of the BBQ Sauce ingredients together until well blended. A blender works well for this.
- Drain lentils/onions when done and pressure is released.
- Place lentils/onions back in pressure cooker to keep warm.
- Add tomatoes, spinach to your liking and BBQ Sauce.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Serve as is, wrapped in lettuce leaves or over potatoes, rice, quinoa or non-starchy veggies.
- Recipe created by JOANNA BURRIS LACKEY BBQ Sauce recipe by Mairead
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.