Basil Tofu Ricotta
This tofu ricotta rivals it's dairy counterpart. Use it as a delicious addition to a vegan pizza, spread on baked potatoes, mix in with a pasta dish or add spinach and use it as a filling for lasagna.
- ½ cup raw blanched almonds or cashews - optional soaked with boiling water to cover for 30 minutes, then drained
- 14 ounces Firm Organic Tofu pressed 1 hour and drained
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil or ¼ cup fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast – optional but good
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach - optional thawed and squeezed dry. - optional
If using the optional nuts - put the blanched almonds in a small bowl and cover with boiling water for 30 minutes, then drain.
In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with an “S” blade add the optional soaked, drained almonds - if using them, the pressed tofu, lemon juice, garlic cloves, dried basil, black pepper and nutritional yeast. Process until creamy smooth, scraping down the sides when needed.
If using the ricotta for a lasagna filling add the optional spinach and process until well incorporated.