I think these would be very kid friendly and a perfect entree choice for those just starting to eat some meatless meals. This is also one of those recipes that would be good to take to a pot luck as these would be enjoyed by everyone – yes even meat eaters! Next time I will double the recipe so we have extras to freeze.
BBQ Lentil Loaf Muffins
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup greenish/brown lentils* – I used the ones from Trader Joe’s they are little and I like how they cook
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 1/4 cup water I like the mild flavor of Bob’s Red Mill golden flaxseed meal
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 cup gluten free quick or old fashioned oats
- 1 cup tomato sauce – no salt added I used Pomi
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Benson’s Table Tasty Salt Substitute or other no salt seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup BBQ Sauce – no sugar added
- 2 tablespoons ketchup – no sugar added
- Mix the ground flaxseeds with 1/4 cup water and set aside. The ground flax seeds will absorb the water and become gelatinous and they act as a binder for the loaf.
- Rinse and drain the lentils. In a medium size sauce pan bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add the lentils, turn the heat down and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the lentils are soft and the water is absorbed. The cooking time will vary depending on what type of lentil you use so check them at the 25 minute mark and keep an eye on them. Drain off any remaining liquid.
- While the lentils are cooking – add a tablespoon of water or vegetable broth to a skillet along with the diced onion, saute for about 5 minutes, add minced garlic and saute another minute or two adding more water or broth if needed to keep the mixture from sticking to the pan. Turn off the heat, add the flax mixture, tomato sauce, seasonings, oats and lentils. Mix well – taste it and adjust seasonings if needed. Remember that a lot of the flavor is coming from the topping.
- Prepare a non stick muffin pan by spraying it liberally with non stick spray or use a silicone muffin pan. Fill ten of the muffin cups with lentil loaf mixture – pressing it down gently in the cup so it will stick together.
- Mix together the BBQ sauce and ketchup and spread it evenly over the top of each lentil muffin.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Use a plastic or bamboo knife and gently slide it around the edges of each lentil muffin to loosen them from the pan.
A nice side dish would be Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Ketchup – No Salt – No Sugar – No – Oil
You can make half of this recipe ketchup and the other half BBQ Sauce.
6 oz can salt free tomato paste
6 tablespoons reduced balsamic vinegar *(like Napa Valley Naturals Grand Reserve only 4% acidity and it’s sweet)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon onion granules
1/4 teaspoon Allspice
Put all ingredients in a small blender container or a small food processor and process until smooth. If you don’t have a small container you might need to double the recipe in order to process it properly. If it’s too thick for you thin it with a little water. Scrape it into clean glass jars with lids. Store in the fridge.
*If you don’t have access to a sweet low acidity vinegar you might need to add a date or some date paste to cut the acidity.
For BBQ Sauce add 1 teaspoon liquid smoke – if making half the recipe BBQ sauce add 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke to half of the ketchup recipe.