Beans and Rice are central to a whole food plant based lifestyle. There are many ways to combine them for healthy delicious meals. This recipe came about when I needed to make beans as a side dish for a Mexican themed pot luck. Over the months it has morphed into this declicious beans and rice. It get’s the smokiness from Chipotle chili powder and smoked paprika. Those warm spices along with several others make this dish irresistable. I usually come home with an almost empty pot!
I make a large batch in the 8 qt Instant pot. You can cut the recipe in half and make it in the 6 qt. The double batch will serve 12-15 hungry adults along with some other side dishes. It comes out thick and almost stew like – if you want it more soupy add more broth after it’s done cooking.
With it nice and thick it makes the perfect topping for tostadas, taco filling or a burrito filling. Add your favorite salsa, slice green onions, corn, jalapenos, shredded lettuce and some Chiptole Nacho Cheee Sauce. I was outside to take this photo and it started to rain – that is rain drops on the plate!
I love to heat it up and serve it over a chopped salad that is seasoned with fresh salsa, lime juice and ground cumin. Fresh cilantro and and green onions on top and you have a fabulous salad. Sometimes I make it with all black beans, sometimes its all pinto and other times it’s half and half. I like black beans the best!
Smoky Vegan Beans & Rice
- 8 QT Electric Pressure Cooker If you have a 6 QT cut the recipe in half.
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 large bell pepper any color, diced
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large jalapenos, seeds removed, diced
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 8 cups water
- 2 pounds dried beans, black or pinto or 1 pound of each, rinsed and drained no soaking the beans
- 1 cup brown rice, short grain, uncooked
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 4 tsp oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt substitute
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Using your 8 QT Instant Pot (cut recipe in half for a 6 QT) turn the saute function on and when the pot is hot add the onions, bell peppers, garlic and jalapenos. Saute until onions are translucent and everything is tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and give it all a good stir. Put the lid on and make sure the steam valve is set to sealing. Select pressure cook or manual, make sure the the pressure level is set to high. Set the cooking time for 45 minutes.
- When the cooking is done, allow the pressure to come down naturally for at least 20 minutes. After 20 minutes you can release the remaining steam by moving the pressure valve to Venting. Press Cancel, then carefully remove the lid, remove th3e 3 bay leaves before serving.
- This can be frozen for future meals. I like to put it in my Souper Cubes in 1 or 2 cup portions.
- Wonderful as a side dish or main dish. Serve over tostada shells, in tacos, burritos, over lettuce greens, chopped salads, in a nourish bowl with corn, lettuce, tomatoes, chipotle nacho cheese sauce and some oil free corn tortilla chips. Serve in a bowl with a little added water or vegetable broth for more of a chili soup along with a cornbread muffin. Enjoy!
Get Healthy Stay Healthy One Meal At A Time
Please note that we partner with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on clicks and or purchases – all at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help bloggers like me to fund the free content that we provide on our blogs. This page contains affiliate links.
Nutmeg Notebook Online Courses
Batch Cooking with Tami Kramer Course Link
We invite you to purchase this course to learn all about the “What, When, Why, and How” of batch cooking, to support your quest to live a healthy, whole food, plant based life style. The course contains a 100 page eBook & course guide that includes over 50 of Tami’s recipes. There are 10 lesson modules containing 32 videos, totaling over 15 hours of comprehensive instruction. Tami will cover batch cooking concepts, techniques, and stratagies, as well as specific recipe demonstrations.
Beautiful Chopped Salad Course Link
Tami Kramer’s Beautiful Chopped Salad Course includes a complete full color 40+ page recipe PDF eBook and 12 instructional videos. In the course Tami will teach you how to batch prep salads, what to shop for, and tips to ensure that your stored salads will last for a week. She will share different methods for chopping salads, and all the details about how she tops these beauties.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products and books. Nutmeg Notebook is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program that is designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support.
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl salad bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.
Made this last night and served big bowls with steamed broccoli on top. Wonderful and nourishing!!! We have big appetites so a half recipie was more like 6 servings. Thank you for the excellent recipie!!
I am so glad you liked it. Love the idea of serving it with broccoli.