These slow cooked black beans have way more flavor than any canned beans you buy. It is super easy and economical too! A 1 pound bag of dried beans is pretty inexpensive. Once cooked these beans can be put into freezer bags or freezer containers and frozen for future use. We usually eat them all before that happens.
Cumin Black Beans – Pressure Cooker
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- 1 pound dried black beans (or pinto beans) rinsed with cold water and any broken beans or pebbles tossed out
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Table Tasty salt substitute or salt substitute of your choice
- 2 tablespoons fresh jalapeno pepper minced, optional or 1/4 tsp jalapeno powder
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 1 each juice of 1 lime added after the beans are cooked
- Combine all ingredients except lime juice in electric pressure cooker, set timer for 45 minutes, natural pressure release. When beans are done cooking, add the juice of 1 lime if desired.
Slow Cooker Method
- Place all ingredients except lime juice in a slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours or until beans are tender. Mine took about 4 hours. Add lime juice if desired and stir. Leftover beans can be frozen in freezer bags or freezer safe containers for future use.
- Store in the refrigerator and eat with in 3-5 days. Beans may be frozen in freezer bags or freezer safe containers.
- This recipe works well with pinto beans too.
When you use our affliate links you help support our work here without any extra cost to you. Thank you for your support. Check out our Amazon Affiliate Page to see our favorite kitchen gadgets, small kitchen appliances, pantry items, hiking products and even fun things for the grandchildren!
The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. We use our 15 inch Beechwood bowl to chop our salads everyday. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how to get a free mezzaluna knife with your order as well as free engraving and free shipping.