Salads are a big part of my weekly menu and I’m not talking about little itty – bitty side salads. No I am talking about Big Beautiful Salads – BBS for short! It’s also delicious on Chopped Salads. Thankfully hubby Tom also likes these salads and we can make a meal out of them. Like most people we enjoy a creamy salad dressing with all those lovely greens and vegetables. With a little experimentation I came up with a creamy delicious no oil balsamic dressing that works well with so many different types of salads. You are going to love this one!
It’s wonderful on a green salad, broccoli slaw or potato salad. For the slaws I prefer it made with a white balsamic to keep the salad from looking dingy. It’s also yummy served as a dip for the Fresh Spring Rolls or the Crispy Spring Rolls. The dressing gets thicker after it chills in the fridge. I try to keep some dressing made and in the fridge at all times. Preparation is key to being able to eat healthy when hunger strikes! I use the Costco Balsamic vinegar for this dressing. The cannellini beans make it thick and creamy. It doesn’t taste “beany” – you would never know it was made with beans. Make the Asian variation to use as a dip for the vegan Sushi Rolls.
Nutmeg Notebook Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- 1 box or can of cannellini beans no salt added rinsed and drained either a 13.4 oz box or 15.5 ounce can
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar *
- 4 Medjool dates – pitted depends on how sweet you like it – you could use less or more
- 4 teaspoons Dijon Mustard or no salt added mustard
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 2-3 teaspoons Garlic & Herb no salt seasoning or you could use 2 fresh garlic cloves Use Mrs. Dash
- Mix all the ingredients together in a high power blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix until smooth and creamy. It thickens after chilling in the fridge.
- If you have a regular blender you might try soaking the dates in warm water to soften them so they will blend better.
- I keep it for 5 days in the fridge no problem. Some people tell me they freeze some of it and then when they need more they thaw it out.
- You can sub date syrup for the dates but remember that the fiber in the dates helps the dressing thicken up.
You can also get the Creamy Strawberry Balsamic Dressing version by subscribing to the blog – it’s an exlusive recipe just for subscribers! Fill out the subscribe tab and the recipe link will automatically go to your email. Be sure to check your junk email folder as it often seems to land there.
When you purchase items through my affiliate links you help support the work here on Nutmeg Notebook without any additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood bowl to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl Mill affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.