I am super excited to share this recipe with you all today! In the past two years since moving to a plant based diet I have tried many vegan/plant based cheese sauce recipes. Some of them were down right awful and others were just okay. That all changed when my friend Donna Weifert shared her vegan cheeze sauce recipe that we have dubbed Donna’s Cheeze Sauce. This sauce is so delicious that I even made a batch of it to take in the cooler on our vacation. It has the most delightful cheezy flavor. The texture is thick like a rich cheese sauce. It heats up without separating and its a gorgeous color. Donna’s recipe calls for items you most likely have in your vegan/plant based pantry and freidge so you can whip up a batch of this miracle sauce right now! This is an oil free, dairy free, cholesterol free, low calorie cheeze sauce. What more could you want?
Donna’s Vegan Cheeze Sauce
- 2 cups white potatoes, diced large
- 1 cup carrots, diced large
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Benson’s Table Tasty Salt Substitute or 2 teaspoons Coconut Aminos
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or more)
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast (this gives it a cheezy flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- dash of cayenne pepper
Boil the potatoes and carrots until soft and drain. (I have also steamed them, microwaved them or used leftover baked potatoes and leftover cooked carrots.) Place the cooked potatoes and carrots and the rest of the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if its too thick. If it’s too thin add a little more potato.
* If you want to make a nacho cheeze sauce add as much diced jalapeno to the mixture as you can handle!
Store in the fridge. It lasts for a week or more – but you will most likely eat it all up before then!
This cheeze melts beautifully.
Thank you Donna for a fabulous recipe!
Recipe by Donna Weifert and shared with her permission.
See where I posted about how I use this cheeze sauce here.