It is a main dish worthy of company and might I add, it’s elegant enough to serve for a holiday meal. Get those big Portobello mushrooms and turn them into a delicious entrée. They taste even better then they look. The garlic potatoes and chives add so much flavor and the men in your life will like that they get to use a fork and knife to eat this meal! (We eat a lot of chopped salads and soups around here and rarely is a knife needed for dinner.)
Just for fun I tried stuffing Baby Bella mushrooms and they turned out amazing! They would be such a fun appetizer. I topped some with Donna’s Vegan Cheeze Sauce and left some plain and loved them both. If you prefer a little spicery flavor try the Chipotle Nacho Cheese Sauce as it has a little kick to it.
Anything with mashed potatoes automatically becomes comfort food in my book.
We thought you might enjoy seeing a video of this recipe being made and cooked in Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer. To make this recipe you will need the Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe.
A little drizzle of Napa Valley Naturals Grand Reserve Balsamic, a Balsamic Glaze or your favorite California Balsamic vinegar would guild the lily on these!
Garlic Mashed Potato Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Air Fryer
- One Batch of Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe see recipe below
- One Batch Donna’s Vegan Cheeze Sauce see recipe below
- or a batch of Chipotle Nacho Cheese Sauce see recipe below
- 4 large portobello mushrooms cleaned and gills removed
- Chives, fresh or dried for garnish
- Make the Garlic Mashed potatoes and the cheeze sauce. Remove to a platter or plate and sprinkle with fresh or dried chive or sliced green onions.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Make sure the air fry rack is in the proper position.
- Prep the mushrooms by removing the gills and the stem gently with a spoon.
- Fill each mushroom cap with mashed potato mixture. When oven has reached temperature place the filled mushroom caps carefully on the rack. Set time for 20 minutes.
- When timer goes off pull out the rack using a hand mitt and spread some of the cheeze sauce over the potatoes. Place back in the oven at 400 degrees until the cheeze sauce is hot about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with some Balsamic vinegar if desired.
- Garnish with fresh or dried chives if desired.
Chipotle Nacho Cheese Sauce
- High Powered Blender
- 2 cups Cooked white potato – peeled, microwaved, boiled or steamed
- 1 cup Cooked carrots – peeled – microwaved, boiled or steamed
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon jalapeno powder or to taste or use a fresh jalapeno
- Put all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend for 2-3 minutes or until smooth and creamy. If you blend it long enough in a Vitamix or Blendtec blender it will get nice and hot!
- This sauce does firm up when refrigerated and if it gets too thick thin it with some unsweetened plant milk or water when reheating to make it pourable again.
- Keep it refrigerated – it will last for 5-6 days. The sauce does get thicker when refrigerated so when reheating you can add a little water or unsweetened plant milk and heat it up in the microwave on 50% power to heat it up gently. Or put it in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring while it heats up. Use a wire whisk to help make it smooth and creamy.I haven't tried freezing it myself but subscribers tell us they have frozen it with it success. If it separates when thawed just put it in the blender to make it all smooth and creamy again.
Donna’s Vegan Cheeze Sauce
- 2 cups white potatoes diced large
- 1 cup carrots diced large
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Benson’s Table Tasty Salt Substitute
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice or more
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast this gives it a cheezy flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Boil the potatoes and carrots until soft and drain. (I have also steamed them, microwaved them or used leftover baked potatoes and leftover cooked carrots.) .
- Place the cooked potatoes and carrots and the rest of the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if its too thick. If it’s too thin add a little more potato
- * If you want to make a nacho cheeze sauce add as much diced jalapeno to the mixture as you can handle!
Nutmeg Notebook’s Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Pressure Cooker, Potato Masher
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes scrubbed and cut into chunks – or your favorite kind of potato
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 8 cloves of garlic – or to taste
- 2-3 teaspoons Benson’s Table Tasty Salt Substitute or your favorite salt substitute
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk warmed so it doesn’t cool down the potatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried Chives or 2 tablespoons fresh minced chives
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put the potatoes, broth and garlic cloves in the Instant Pot, secure the lid and press manual, set time for 4 minutes. When it is done cooking use quick pressure release. Open pot carefully as it will be hot, do not drain the liquid, using a potato masher start mashing making sure you get the cloves of garlic. Add all of the seasonings. Add the almond milk a little at a time – you may not need it all depending on how creamy you like your potatoes. Keep mashing and adding the warm almond milk until you have the desired consistency.
Please note that we partner with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on clicks and or purchases – all at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help bloggers like me to fund the free content that we provide on our blogs.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Nutmeg Notebook is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program that is designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support.
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canada we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Occasionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl salad bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.