Kale is very hearty so this salad holds up to the dressing just fine and was as delicious on day two as it was when freshly prepared. The craisins and apple added a nice contrast of sweetness to the kale and the broccoli slaw adds color and even more crunch! This salad takes some work to eat your way through it! If you don’t have access to Trader Joe’s Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar substitute another sweet vinegar or perhaps add a little orange juice in place of vinegar.
Kale & Broccoli Slaw
- 1 pound kale — removed from stems, cut into ribbons or chopped
- 3 cups broccoli slaw
- 1 apple — cored, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion — chopped
- 1/4 cup Craisins – dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds
- 3 tablespoons *Trader Joe’s Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar – or your favorite sweet flavored vinegar
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon or orange juice
- freshly ground black pepper — to taste
In a large bowl combine kale through craisins. In a small bowl mix together vinegar, mustard and pepper to taste. Pour over salad and toss to combine.
Yiled: 8 cups Serving Size: 1 cup
On the Whole Foods website I saw a Kale Waldorf Salad recipe using raw kale that looked amazing but I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand to make it. Then I remembered seeing a recipe posted by Tracy at TJ’s Test Kitchen for a Crunchy Greens & Apple Salad using fresh kale, but yet again I didn’t have the correct ingredients. Not one to let go of a great idea I used what I had in the refrigerator and came up with my own Kale & Broccoli Slaw salad. It was so delicious that I ended up making it twice this past week!
See where I first talked about this recipe here.