I wasn’t planning on doing a post this morning but I just made the best no oil hummus and I have to share the recipe. It is the best oil free hummus I have made or tasted – even if I do say so myself! While on my morning walk today I was talking to my mom on the phone and I was telling her that I like to eat raw veggies dipped in hummus. When I am short on time – which is most days lately I will buy the Engine 2 brand of hummus at Whole Foods. It’s not great tasting but it works in a pinch. I had a little extra time this morning before I needed to get to my daughter’s house so I decided to take 15 minutes and make some home made hummus. Yep that’s about all the time it takes to make hummus at home using canned beans. That is quicker than driving to the store to buy it! Why oh why was I buying hummus that was just ok when I could have been making this?
You will eat a lot more veggies just so you can have a vessel to eat this insanely delicious no oil hummus!
Just in time for Mother’s Day – this recipe is my gift to all you amazing mother’s! It’s so good you should make a double batch!
Best Oil Free Hummus
- 1 can no salt added Cannellini Beans, rinse and drained
- 1 can no salt garbanzo beans, drained but reserve the liquid – I didn’t rinse the beans
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cumin – I used 1 teaspoon but I really like the flavor of cumin start with 1/2 teaspoon and adjust to your personal preference
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2-3 tablesppons fresh lemon juice – start with 2 and add more to your personal preference – I like 3
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba – measure from the reserved liquid from the garbanzo beans – adjust to your personal preference. Add more if you like it creamier and thinner – add less if you want it to be thicker.
Place all ingredients in a high powered blender or a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy! Store covered in the fridge. Serve with raw veggies for dipping.
A Nutmeg Notebook Recipe
I want to wish all of you a very Happy Mother’s Day! We will be celebrating with our family and it’s a pretty special day here this year. You see our daughter is expecting twins in the fall! Twins do run in my family – my mother had twins. We are excited about this life changing event. Her and her husband will have three under the age of three! It’s going to be busy around their house. Tom and I are excited and grateful that we are going to be very involved in helping with the babies. We have been helping run their household for the past 3 months as our daughter has been very sick with nause 24/7. It’s just starting to ease up a bit and we are hopeful that it will be ending soon. It has been very scary to say the least to see her so sick. We pray that her and the babies continue to do well and we are so grateful for this miracle of life that is coming in duplicate this time!