It almost sounds to good to be true but you really can make delicious brownies that are healthy too! I have to admit that I haven’t had a brownie in years – or so that was true until earlier this week. On Tuesday we celebrated our 41st wedding anniversary and I wanted something special for dessert. You know, something festive and celebratory. After all, we are on shelter in place because of the pandemic and we didn’t get to go out of town to celebrate like we had wanted to. We are making do right now and making the best of things. Chocolate Cherry Brownies were my creation this week and I must say they are down right delectable. This is good way to make the best of things!
Back in the day, before I went plant based I used to make some amazing brownies that I would add rolled oats to and people went crazy for those brownies. This of course is a much healthier version but they do remind me of the ones from days gone by. They are fudgy, dark chocolate, not too sweet and exactly what I was hoping for.
These are no guilt brownies – well unless you eat the whole pan – don’t eat the whole pan even though you are going to want to. They are delcious with or without the optional unsweetened chocolate chips.
Brownies for everyone!
If a picture is worth a thousand words, then what is a video worth?
For our anniversary Tom made Banana Cherry Nice Cream in our Champion Juicer. It took the brownies to a whole new level. He used 6 Tart Frozen Cherries for each Frozen Sweet Banana.
I had an idea for these chocolate cherry brownies after seeing Brittany from Jaroudi Family Blog make a healthy brownie. She inspired me to get in the kitchen and try it out. I also purchased the no sugar added chocolate chips she uses from Santa Barbara Chocolate. They are amazing – dark chocolate – no sweetener at all – the dark chocolate may not be for everyone but I don’t eat much in the way of sweets so I think they are terrific. If you prefer you can use Date Paste in this recipe instead of whole dates – start with 1/4 cup and add more if more sweetness is desired.
Chocolate Cherry Brownies
- Food Processor, Oven
- 1 cup Japanese Sweet Potato – oven roasted
- 1 cup garbanzo beans
- 2 Tablespoons aquafaba – broth from the beans
- 6 – 8 dates pitted – optional
- 1 ripe banana 3.75 ounces peeled
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ c frozen cherries – slightly thawed
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tablespoon Cacao nibs optional
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 inch baking pan – round or square with parchment paper or use a silicone pan.
- In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade add the Japanese Sweet Potato, garbanzo beans, aquafaba, dates if using, banana, cocoa, cinnamon, vanilla powder, baking powder, baking soda and cherries, process until smooth. Add The rolled oats and process using the pulse function until they are well incorporated. Add cacao nibs or unsweetened chocolate chips if desired. They can go in the batter or just on top. They are not necessary – the brownies are delicious without them.Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until done. Don't over bake as we want them to be fudgy! Enjoy warm or cold. Top with Banana Cherry Nice Cream if desired.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.