Split pea soup is one of my all time favorite soups! The addition of yams makes it even more special – the creaminess of the split peas is the perfect match with yams – who knew? This is a simple recipe that goes together quickly and split peas are a fairly fast cook as well. In just over an hour you can have dinner on the table! Make a side salad or a chopped salad to go with this for a comfort food meal.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from the The Health Promoting Cookbook by Alan Goldhamer. I had to adapt a few of my favorite ingredients from other split pea soup recipes and the results were so fantastic that I have made this soup twice! It’s on the menu again this week. This time I will be making a loaf of beer bread to go with it. Stay tuned for my veganized version of beer bread – its company approved! Although the yams in the soup photo look like regular potatoes they are actually a Japanese yam that is white inside – but it tastes like a regular yam. I bought them my mistake but we happen to really like them.
Split Pea & Yam Soup
- Pressure cooker or slow cooker or stove top dutch oven
- 4 cups vegetable stock – low sodium
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups dry split peas rinsed
- 3 large Hannah Yams – about 26 ounces peeled and cubed
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Table Tasty salt substitute or your favorite salt substitute
- In a large soup pot bring the water, broth and split peas to a boil. Add the yams, celery, carrots, onion and spices. Simmer for one hour or until split peas and veggies are fully cooked and tender, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves before serving. We like our soup to be chunky but if you prefer a creamy smooth soup you can put it in a blender in batches and process until smooth. This soup freezes well.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canada we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Occasionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.