This is originally an Alton Brown recipe and trust me when I say this is a company worthy recipe. Butternut squash is every where right now so why not use some in a delicious vegetable soup. This makes a huge pot full of goodness so you can feed a crowd or freeze some for quick meals in the weeks ahead. I found a slightly revamped recipe by The Healthy Librarian over at Happy Healthy Long Life. I did a few of tweaks of my own and was quite happy with the results!
It nearly filled my largest dutch oven to the top! Alton Brown says its the best soup he has ever made! The first day I made it I thought it was pretty good. Day two it was even more yummy and day three double yums!!! The broth and veggies just kept getting better and better. I even served a large bowl of this soup to a carnivore who kept telling me how delicious it was all through the meal. Two thumbs up from everyone – so this soup will be showing up again and again on our menu. Thank goodness it makes enough to freeze up in single servings – oh and a single serving just happens to be 2 1/4 cups big! This is a filling, delicious bowl of soup my friends.
Use JOI Plant Milk Discount Code NUTMEG
The broth is rich with flavor and the vegetables are tender but not mushy.
You can sub other squash or a sweet potato depending on what you find in your market – use other greens in place of the kale if you wish. I even added some cooked brown rice when reheating this soup for a quick lunch and that was fun too! You could use an Italian seasoning blend, add some little whole wheat pasta and have a minestrone soup. So many possibilities.
Winter Vegetable Soup
- 8 ounces of cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2-4 large carrots chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 teaspoons of fresh sage chopped
- 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes in tomato puree or juice
- 2 ½ quarts of low-sodium vegetable broth
- optional – 3 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce Alton says the soy adds Umami eliminate this for UWL program
- 1 pound butternut squash cubes – this is also sold pre-peeled and cubed at Trader Joe’s Costco and Sam’s club.
- 5 – 10 ounces of chopped curly kale stems removed – I went with 10 ounces chopped up pretty good
- 2 cans 15 ounce ea. no-salt Great Northern or Cannellini beans—DO NOT DRAIN! I found them at Whole Foods.
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 teaspoons Herbs de Provence seasoning blend or Italian seasoning blend.
- Use a large 8 quart soup pot. Heat on high & sear & brown the mushrooms, until tender. Only add a little water or broth if they start to stick. Remove them from the pot and set aside to add back in later.
- Lower heat & sweat onions, carrots, & celery over low heat for 30 minutes, at least. Cover the pot, and stir occasionally, checking to see if they are getting too dry, & need a little water or vegetable broth to deglaze the pan. They’ll be very soft.
- Add in garlic, rosemary, & sage
- Add the tomatoes in their juice, cook for about 5 minutes, to blend everything together.
- Increase the heat, & add the vegetable broth to the pot. Mix in soy sauce and heat just until boiling.
- Lower heat to a simmer & add the squash & kale. Cover & simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Now, add the mushrooms back in, & the 2 un-drained cans of Great Northern or Cannellini beans to help thicken the soup with their starch. Mix well. Then add the 2 TBS vinegar to cut the acidity from the tomatoes, stir in the Herbs de Provence or Italian Seasoning.
- Heat through
Get Healthy Stay Healthy One Meal At A Time
Please note that we partner with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on clicks and or purchases – all at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help bloggers like me to fund the free content that we provide on our blogs. This page contains affiliate links.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Nutmeg Notebook is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program that is designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support.
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canada we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Occasionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size. Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
A Nutmeg Notebook Online Course. Beautiful Chopped Salad Course Link
Tami Kramer’s Beautiful Chopped Salad Course includes a complete full color 40+ page recipe PDF eBook and 12 instructional videos. In the course Tami will teach you how to batch prep salads, what to shop for, and tips to ensure that your stored salads will last for a week. She will share different methods for chopping salads, and all the details about how she tops these beauties. Included are 25 different ways to top a chopped salad, 5 oil free salad dressings, gluten free croutons and crunchy toppings, hummus, salsa’s and more! Please enjoy the course videos at your own pace. There are approximately 2 1/2 hours of instruction spread over the 12 individual topic videos. When completed you will be well on your way to enjoying these beautiful, chopped salads as often as you wish, perhaps even daily as Tami does.
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl salad bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.