Oats with plenty of chopped apple, cranberries, orange zest, cinnamon, plant milk, pumpkin, oat bran and of course cinnamon and nutmeg. Some orange zest and a little juice adds a nice punch of flavor. A sprinkle of chopped walnuts on top for a little crunch and nutty goodness. What a delightful way to enjoy your oatmeal.
What is baked oatmeal? Pretty much just what you might think. It’s your favorite hot oatmeal ingredients combined but instead of cooking on the stove top it gets baked in the oven. This changes the texture from being like porridge and transforms it into a delightful bar. It isn’t going to be cake like or a muffin texture. It is much softer and moist, but it does retain it’s shape. It can be cut and served warm to be eaten with a fork. Once chilled it can be eaten out of hand but, it is a little sticky. But then you get to lick your fingers!
Use Discount Code NUTMEG when ordering JOI Plant Milk Bases
It can be a portable breakfast or snack on the go. Pretty enough to serve as part of a holiday brunch. If you don’t have cranberries you could use blueberries. No apples use pears. Its pretty versatile. You can add raisins or mix nuts into the batter as well as on top. If you need another recipe to use up a little leftover canned pumpkin try Chocolate Pumpkin Oatmeal it could even be dessert! You can freeze leftover canned pumpkin for future recipes. It will separate a little when thawed, but give it a stir and its fine.
Oat Bran – oat flour, quinoa flakes, ground millet
Oat Milk – any plant milk
Vanilla Powder – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Canned Pumpkin – cooked butternut squash or kabocha squash or mased banana
Clementine’s – an orange – 2 teaspoons zest and 1-2 tbsp orange juice
Cranberries – blueberries
Apple – pear
Walnuts – optional – pecans – hazelnuts or pistachios
Cinnamon – apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice – if using a spice blend leave out the nutmeg
Medjool Dates – 10 -12 Deglet Noor dates or about 3 ounces of your favorite pitted dates
If you love cranberries you must try this delicious Cranberry Chutney. You could even top the baked Cran – Apple Pumpkin Oatmeal with a spoonful! If you are looking for Holiday recipes check out our Favorite Vegan Holiday Recipe Round Up.
Cran – Apple Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
- silicone baking pan
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups plant milk I use JOI Oat Milk
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted or your favorite dates – about 3 ounces adjust to suit your personal preference
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree – not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 Clementine's – zest the peel and juice them about 2 tbsp juice and 2 teaspoons zest
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup oat bran or oat flour, quinoa flakes or ground millet
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or to taste apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice – leave out the nutmeg if using spice blends
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 apple, cored and finely chopped leave the skin on
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped – optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use an 8 or 9 inch silicone baking pan or line a regular baking pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- In a small dish combine the 2 tbsp ground flax with 6 tbsp water, stir and set aside.
- In a blender container combine, plant milk, pitted dates, vanilla, canned pumpkin, orange juice and zest and blend until creamy smooth.
- In a medium size bowl combine oats, oat bran, spices, apple, cranberries, baking powder, contents of the blender and the ground flax water mixture. Stir until well incorporated.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, leveling it out to be even and smooth. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts if using, pressing them into the batter so they will stay on when serving. Bake for 30- 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. The 9 inch pan will cook a little faster, the 8 inch pan takes a little longer because it will be a thicker product. It will be moist, but it does set up as it cools.
- Cut into 16 squares or 8 rectangles. Serve warm. room temperature, or cold from the fridge. Drizzle with date syrup or maple syrup if desired. Or top with some Cranberry Chutney. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Get Healthy Stay Healthy One Meal At A Time
Please note that we partner with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on clicks and or purchases – all at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help bloggers like me to fund the free content that we provide on our blogs. This page contains affiliate links.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Nutmeg Notebook is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program that is designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support.
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canada we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Occasionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size. Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
A Nutmeg Notebook Online Course. Beautiful Chopped Salad Course Link
Tami Kramer’s Beautiful Chopped Salad Course includes a complete full color 40+ page recipe PDF eBook and 12 instructional videos. In the course Tami will teach you how to batch prep salads, what to shop for, and tips to ensure that your stored salads will last for a week. She will share different methods for chopping salads, and all the details about how she tops these beauties. Included are 25 different ways to top a chopped salad, 5 oil free salad dressings, gluten free croutons and crunchy toppings, hummus, salsa’s and more! Please enjoy the course videos at your own pace. There are approximately 2 1/2 hours of instruction spread over the 12 individual topic videos. When completed you will be well on your way to enjoying these beautiful, chopped salads as often as you wish, perhaps even daily as Tami does.
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl salad bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.