The nice thing about living where there are seasons is that we change up what we eat to a certain degree (pun intended) depending on the weather. Although coleslaw can be enjoyed anytime of year it is a dish that just seems to scream Summer! This coleslaw recipe has it’s own unique style with the addition of some seasonal fruits that make it extra special. Each bite is a full on flavor explosion! I like recipes that are just a little bit different and unique. I am not trying to recreate the old style coleslaw here – there are plenty of those recipes around. This one is deliciously different – that alone makes it special.
If you are going to be serving a family go ahead and dress the entire coleslaw mixture. However, if you will be eating the slaw over a few days just keep the slaw and dressing seperate and dress just enough slaw for each meal. For pot lucks and picnics I double the recipe because everyone always comes back for more. I make this for our in person weight loss classes and the participants always ask for the recipe. I usually just wing it but I finally decided to write it all down and make a recipe to share.
This recipe uses simple ingredients that everyone should be able to find. A regular blender will work well for making this dressing. To make it easier to blend in a regular blender you can pre-soak the dates by putting them in a small bowl and covering them with boiling water. Let sit for 30 minutes, drain and use. If using a high powered blender there is no need to soak the dates – unless they are rock hard!
I could eat this every day during the summer.
You don’t need any fancy kitchen equipement to make this recipe – although you can use your special kitchen gadgets if you have them!
Here is a short little video showing exactly how to make the dressing and the slaw. Enjoy.
To turn this salad into a main dish we add rinsed and drained garbanzo beans and have some starch on the side. So satisifying and delicious.
- 16 ounces coleslaw mix – sometimes they come as a 14 ounce bag -that is fine too you can make your own slaw as well
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2-3 Celery stalks – diced
- 2 apples cored, diced
- 1-2 cups pineapple chunks or grapes cut in half
- Celery seed – optional – to taste
- 4 Mandarin oranges
Creamy White Balsamic Dressing
- 1 box or can cannellini Beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup white Balsamic vinegar
- 2-4 Medjool Dates or your favorite type of date could sub 1/4 cup soft raisins
- 4 teaspoons no salt added mustard
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 2-3 teaspoons Garlic & Herb no salt seasoning or 2 cloves of garlic
- Place all of the Slaw mixture ingredients except the celery seed, in a large bowl and mix together.
- Place all of the dressing ingredients in the blender container. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- If you don’t have a high powered blender or if your dates are very hard, try soaking the dates before blending. Simply put the dates in a small bowl and pour boiling water over them – soak for 30 minutes, drain off the water and continue with the recipe.
- If serving the coleslaw for multiple people go ahead and pour the dressing on the coleslaw – use as much or as little as you like. Stir until the slaw is well covered. Sprinkle with the celery seed if desired.
- If you want to enjoy the slaw over a few days only dress enough of the slaw for each meal. Store the remainder of the slaw and dressing separately. That will keep it fresh and crisp.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.