Chickpeas are one of my favorite beans. They are so versatile and even bean haters can enjoy them. These savory, garlicky chickpea croutons are one of my favorite ways to enjoy this healthy legume. They are air fried or you can make them in an oven. Vegan, oil free and gluten free. They are crispy, crunchy goodness that can be the perfect topping for a Caesar Salad using my new oil free Caesar Dressing.
You can use canned chickpeas or ones you have cooked from dried.
The salad topped with garlic chickpea croutons is a meal all on it’s own.
Enjoy the crunch on a delicious salad with an Oil Free Caesar Dressing or Oil Free Ranch Dressing. These are fabulous as a topping for a creamy soup, add to your next Nourish Bowl with greens and grains, top off your sweet potato with a few and a drizzle of dressing, or as snack for your next hike, bike ride or road trip. Kids love them too!
If they get soft the second day just pop them back in the air fryer or oven for a few minutes to crisp them right up. Easy -peasy.
This is a very simple recipe using common ingredients that you most likely have in your pantry right now. If you don’t have the Well Your World salt substitutes use any salt substitute you have and like.
The Garlic Chickpea Croutons are awesome for packing in my lunch to go in my Zip Top containers. The Zip Top containers are also amazing for refrigerator and freezer items and shelf stable pantry foods. They are made from 100% plantinum silicone that stand up, stay open and zip shut. No lids to keep track of! They can also go in the microwave – pretty amazing. Made in the USA. Be sure to use our discount code NUTMEGNOTEBOOK for 15% off your order. Use the link below to order.
Garlic Chickpea Croutons
- Air Fryer or oven
- 2 15.5 oz cans Garbanzo beans, drained, reserve liquid
- 2 teaspoons aqua faba, liquid from the canned beans
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Well Your World Stardust salt substitute or your favorite salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper – optional
- In a medium size bowl add all of the ingredients, stir well to coat all the garbanzo beans with seasonings.
- Spread out evenly on air frying rack.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring after first 10 minutes. Cooking time may vary. Watch the chickpeas carefully as they can go from not done to burned in a matter of a minutes or two.
- If you don't have an air fryer you can bake them in the oven at 400 degrees. Stir every 10 minutes. Bake until they are crispy but not burned.
- Once they are cool, store them in a container with a lid. If they soften up put them back in the air fryer for a minute or so or in the oven again to crisp them, watching them closely so they don't burn.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Nutmeg Notebook is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program that is designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support.
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canada we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Occasionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl salad bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.