We just spent a week with Chef AJ and her husband Charles becoming Certified Ultimate Weight Loss Educators. While there, our dear friend Heather taught us how to make Vegan Sushi Rolls with brown rice! These are SOS free and incredibly delicious. I was surprised at how easy they are to make. These will be something we will make again and again. Wait until you see what the secret ingredient is that makes these extra special.
You can leave them whole to eat as a meal or slice them to place on a tray as an appetizer or part of a meal. You can use a variety of vegetables and customize them to your own taste.
From left to right, Michele from Living Well With Michele, Tami from Nutmeg Notebook and Heather from The Butterfly Effect Plant Based Transformation. We all completed Chef AJ’s program to become Certified UWL Educators! (UWL stands for Ultimate Weight Loss)
The oven roasted Hannah yam replaces the traditional avocado for those of us who are trying to lose weight or maintain our weight loss. The roasted yam adds a nice sweetness and it’s creamy much like avocado but much lower in fat.
We filmed this in Chef AJ’s beautiful new home – her kitchen is perfect for filming cooking segments. She cooked for us all week long and we ate tons of starch. Potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes and of course plenty of vegetables. Guess what – we lost weight! That’s right even with all that starch and being away from home for a week we all lost weight! Don’t be afraid to eat healthy whole grains and potatoes.
Vegan Sushi Rolls
- 4 c. brown rice make from 2 c. uncooked rice and 3 1/2 c. water Lundburg organic short-grain preferred
- 1/2 c brewed rice vinegar – unseasoned – no salt no sugar
- 1 large cucumber julienned
- 2 large carrots julienned or shredded
- 1 baked sweet potato any kind – we used Hannah Yams
- 6 sheets organic nori seaweed find it at Asian markets or Whole Foods
- Make 4 c. of brown rice (I used 2 c. uncooked brown rice and 3.5 c. water in my rice cooker and set it on the brown rice setting.) While still hot, add 1/2 c. brewed rice vinegar and stir well to combine.
- Lay a sheet of nori on a large flat surface. Spread rice over the nori sheet evenly, leaving an inch uncovered at the top and bottom. Dampen your fingers with water and spread the water over the inch of nori exposed at the top and bottom. Roll nori up tightly. Cut with a very sharp serrated knife, taking care not to smash the roll. Serve with California Balsamic Teriyaki or just as it is. Enjoy! We actually like it with a little of my Creamy Balsamic Dressing.Thank you Heather for an amazing recipe.
Link to Creamy Balsamic Dressing recipe.
This Teriyaki Balsamic vinegar from California Balsamic is amazing! See how you can get 2 free sample size bottles with your order on my blog post about California Balsamic.
We enjoyed our Sushi rolls with a salad.
We made extras and wrapped them in foil so the next day we could take them with us in the car as we traveled all day to get back home. I called this our “dashboard dinner.” We also enjoyed raw carrots and Chef AJ sent a container of her Rice Pudding for us to have in the car. This was some good eating!
When you use our affiliate links you help support our work here without any extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.
We are Holland Bowl Mill affiliates. Please see our Chopped Salad Video to see how we use our Holland Bowl to make amazing chopped salads and find out how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your qualifying order. Holland Bowl Mill also makes beautiful cutting boards, fruit bowls, plates, kitchen utensils, heart shaped bowls and more!