This is one of my favorite combinations of vegetables and starch. It is simple and easy to make but yet big on flavor. The pomegranate glaze elevates this humble recipe to the holiday table. Once you have it ready on the sheet pan, simply put it in the oven while you finish the rest of your meal prep.
This is such a festive looking dish.
A wonderful side dish with the Lentil Loaf with Date Glaze, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Curry Ginger Butternut Squash soup – a recipe you get when you subscribe to the blog and for dessert of course Apple Oat Crisp or Fall Pudding.
Use your favorite sweet syrupy balsamic vinegar like Napa Valley Naturals Grand Reserve or any 4% acidity balsamic. I like the Just Syrup Pomegranate Molasses but I will post another brand that is available on my Amazon affiliate store. If you have the California Balsamic Pomegranate Vinegar that will work too. Any stone ground mustard will work. I like the Westbrae Natural no salt added mustard.
My favorite spices come from Local Spicery where they mill all their own spices in small batches so you are always getting the freshest spices possible! Put Nutmeg Notebook in the message box at checkout and get 2 free sample spices with your order.
In addition to the garlic powder I also like to add fresh garlic to the mixture. The layering of flavors makes it taste amazing.
Fresh pomegranate arils add color, crunch and make this dish look festive! You can use dried cranberries or another dried fruit instead if you don’t have pomegranate arils.
I like to stuff some oven roasted Delicata Squash with the roasted Brussels Sprouts & Butternut Squash – scrumptious!
Watch this video to see how quick and easy this recipe is.
Use any thick and syrupy Balsamic Vinegar that is low acidity.
If you don’t have Pomegranate molasses use all Balsamic vinegar.
You can Substitute Date Syrup for the Pomegranate molasses.
A stone ground mustard or Dijon mustard will work.
Any winter squash can be used in place of Butternut Squash.
You can use all Brussels Sprouts and no squash.
You could use dried cranberries or any dried fruit to garnish instead of Pomegranate arils.
If you don’t like garlic leave it out.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Butternut Squash with Pomegranate Glaze
- 1 pound fresh Brussels Sprouts, washed, trimmed and quartered
- 12 ounces Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed or any winter squash
- 4-6 each garlic cloves, thinly sliced – to taste
- 2 tbsp sweet thick & syrupy balsamic vinegar 4% acidity
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate Molasses see substitutions below
- 1/4 cup Stone Ground Mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the Brussels Sprouts, butternut squash and garlic cloves.
- In a small bowl combine, sweet balsamic vinegar, pomegranate molasses, mustard, onion powder and garlic powder. Using a fork or small wire whisk stir until well combined.
- Pour glaze over the Brussels Sprouts, squash and garlic, mix until well coated.
- Using the rimmed baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper, spread mixture out evenly over the baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until Brussels are nicely browned.
- Garnish with pomegranate arils. Serve and enjoy.
Have you seen these freezer storage space saving solutions? We use them for soups, stew, chili, taco lentils, beans and grains. Click on our affiliate link to learn more. http://www.soupercubes.com?ref=6
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canada we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Occasionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.
Why doesn’t your recipe include pomegranate arils? The photo you show has them in it.
It was simply an oversight but I’m sure everyone figured it out! ❤️ I’ve added them to the recipe. Thank you! 😊
Thank you for sharing this recipe! I am looking forward to trying the pomegranate molasses. It is nice to try some new flavor combinations.
Yes it is Debbie! Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!