A new recipe for you to try that uses many of our favorite flavors including, smoked paprika, ground cumin, jalapeno powder, onion powder, chipotle powder and sun dried tomato powder. These go together quickly and easily and are perfect for a weeknight dinner. Of course if you want to batch prep them feel free to double the recipe as they can be frozen ahead.
I like to use the little slider corn tortillas in place of a bun – it’s a great gluten free option and makes for a nice open faced sandwich.
Of course you can put a topper on it if you wish.
We like to use these corn tortillas to make Guilt Free Corn Tortillas and Salsa.
You can purchase spices from Localy Spicery on line. Be sure to put Nutmeg Notebook in the message box on the check out page to get 2 free samples with your order. They have a line of SOS Free Seasoning Blends. See our videos and our tour of the Local Spicery Shop.
Cut the Smokey Black Bean Burger in half and tuck each half into a full size corn tortilla with some of Tami’s Easy Red Salsa and shredded lettuce. Or you might enjoy a dollop of the creamy Green Chili Hummus.
We hope you enjoy the video showing how to make the veggie burgers.
How about some fries to go with that burger! Actually we like these Crispy Smashed Potatoes even better than fries. They are oil free and made in an air fryer. They are the perfect side dish to a delicious bean burger.
Smokey Black Bean Burgers
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons water set aside
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon Jalapeno powder or 1/2 – 1 fresh jalapeno diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon Chipotle Chili powder or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sun dried tomato powder or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated toasted onion or regular onion granules
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Mix the ground flax with the 3 tablespoons of water and set aside. In a medium size bowl mash the beans with a potato masher – don't over mash them as we are not looking for it to be smooth, just a mash with a few bits of beans still showing.Add all of the dry seasonings, cilantro and flax water mixture and give it a good stir to incorporate the ingredients well.Add the corn and oats and stir to combine.Make into 8 burgers.Preheat skillet over medium high heat and brown patties 4 at a time so as not to over crowd the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Don't over cook them as they will dry out.If making some ahead to freeze I prefer to brown them before freezing. Wrap individually and put in a freezer safe container. They can be heated up in the microwave, in a skillet on the stove and they can be crisped up a bit for a few minutes in the air fryer too!
This is the Mealthy non stick skillet I use to brown the veggie burgers. Use our Mealthy Affiliate Link and our coupon code NUTMEGNOTEBOOK will save you $10 on any order of $59.95 or more.
Serving suggestions; stuff a corn tortilla taco shell with half a burger with a dollop of Tami’s Easy Red Salsa and shredded lettuce or cabbage. Add a slice of avocado or Guacamole if you wish. Put a burger over a bed of baby greens or on top of a chopped salad. Serve with oil free fries, corn on the cob and a side salad. Use in a burrito bowl with brown rice, shredded romaine, salsa and water sauteed onions and peppers.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canda we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Ocassionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl order when you use our affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.