I posted a recipe for my delicious Hot Chocolate recipe and people were so excited about having a plant based version. They were equally as excited about the cookies that were featured in the photo along with the Hot Chocolate! In the interest of all chocolate lovers I wasted no time in getting the recipe out to you. These are a soft and chewy, whole food plant based chocolate chip cookie made without any refined sugar.
If you are not a fan of raisins you can use some date paste instead and add a little extra oats if that makes them too wet. It’s a very forgiving recipe so feel free to change it up to satisfy your own personal taste preferences.
These are similar in texture to my Pumpkin Spice Oat Cookies. To make sure these are gluten free be sure to purchased certified gluten free oats and oat bran.
You can see all of my favorite kitchen items on my Amazon Affiliate page.
These cookies are a must have with our delicious Hot Chocolate.
These are the two brands of unsweetened chocolate chips I have found. You can order directly from the Santa Barbara Chocolate Co. or if you have a Trader Joe’s near you they carry an unsweetened cacao chip.
We did a YouTube Live to show how easy it is to make these cookies and we answered your questions about making them. Enjoy!
Oat Bran – substitute oat flour, quinoa flakes, ground quinoa or ground millet.
Chocolate Chips – leave them out, substitute more raisins or any dried fruit. Try blueberries fresh or frozen.
Bananas- substitute mashed mango, baked Japanese Sweet Potato or baked Hannah Yam – mashed.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Raisin Oatmeal Cookies
- Oven, baking sheet, parchment paper, silpat mat
- 2 each Bananas, very ripe, peeled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 cup oat bran or oat flour or quinoa flakes or ground millet
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a medium size bowl mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the unsweetened apple sauce, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. and vanilla. Stir until well incorporated.
- Add the oats, oat bran, chocolate chips and raisins. Stir until well mixed.
- Using about a 1/4 cup scoop or measuring cup full of batter for each cookie, place this on the prepared baking sheet using all of the cookie batter. Using your fingers or a small silicone spatula flatten the cookies and give them a nice round shape.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly brown and cooked through.
- Let rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then remove and place on a wire cooking rack.
- When cool place in a container with a lid and store in the refrigerator or the freezer.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Thank you for your support!
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canada we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Occasionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size.
The full address is Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl salad bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.