I was asked to make a mushroom gravy for a “Friendsgiving” this week and it needed to be salt, oil and gluten free. My daughter helped me revamp an old favorite mushroom gravy recipe on paper and then I put our ideas to the test. I have to say the results were awesome. This is easy to make and very flavorful. Make a batch of Garlic Mashed Potatoes and a batch of this gravy – let the meal begin. This is comfort food – need I say more.Jump to Recipe
We don’t eat gravy often but we do like it for holiday meals. I’m not sure why we don’t make it during the rest of the year but maybe we will now.
These are our favorite Garlic Mashed Potatoes made easily in the Instant Pot.
Make it on your stove top, it comes together easily. You can make this a few days in advance, refrigerate, then simply warm up on the stove or in the microwave before serving. I made this in my 5 QT Green Pan and it works beautifully for no oil cooking.
I used organic baby portobello and shiitake mushrooms from Costco. You can use all one type of mushroom if you wish. You can even use frozen mixed mushrooms like these I found at Whole Foods.
The recipe uses vegetable broth – you can make your own, buy low sodium broth or use Bada Bing Bouillon from Local Spicery, mixed with hot water.
The original recipe used soy sauce which is not gluten free and is very high in sodium. I subbed Coconut Aminos which is lower sodium. I bought this at Costco. You can also find it at Whole Foods, health food stores and Trader Joe’s has their own brand too.
Depth from Local Spicery is a delicious way to add Umami flavors to sauces, soups and stews.
There are other mushroom based Umami seasoning blends on the market but all of them I have found contain added salt. As you can see this one is salt free and I love it. You can purchase mushroom powders on line as well.
Gravy should last about 5 days in the fridge.
This was my plate at the “Friendsgiving” we attended. That is the Forks Over Knives Millet Loaf on the left, a green salad with Chef AJ’s Poppy Seed Dressing and Chef AJ’s Cranberry Relish. Everything was delicious. I don’t have these recipes or links to them. They were made by other people at the dinner.
See our Holiday Recipe Round Up post with links to all of our favorite holiday recipes.
Use discount code NUTMEG when ordering from JOI Plant Milk Bases
Vegan Mushroom Gravy (No Oil – Gluten Free)
- 1 1/2 cups onion, finely diced
- 12 ounces mushrooms, diced use a combination of different mushrooms or all one kind button, cremini, portobello,shiitake
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 3 3/4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium or sodium free
- 3 Tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped or 1 Tablespoon dried
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh marjoram or rosemary, finely chopped or 1 tsp dried
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Aminos
- 3 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch, organic non GMO
- 1 Tablespoon Depth Mushroom Umami powder – optional
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat, add onions and mushrooms. Use a little water if needed to prevent sticking. Stir frequently adding more water as needed, cook for 10-15 minutes until they have become soft and cooked all the way through.
- Stir in garlic, thyme and rosemary or marjoram, stir and cook for another 1-2 minutes to release the natural oils in the spices.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile in a small dish mix together the Coconut Aminos, 3 T nutritional yeast, and cornstarch until a thick paste forms.
- Add the paste to the skillet, using a whisk to blend it in, boil for about 1 minute, turn heat down to a simmer, stir constantly.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and freshly ground black pepper, stir well.
- Serve hot over mashed potatoes, rice or millet, green beans and lentil loaf.
Get Healthy Stay Healthy One Meal At A Time
Please note that we partner with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on clicks and or purchases – all at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help bloggers like me to fund the free content that we provide on our blogs. This page contains affiliate links.
Be sure to check out our Amazon Affiliate Page where we share many of our favorite small kitchen appliances, kitchen tools, food products, books and fun things for the grandchildren! Nutmeg Notebook is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program that is designed to provide a means for sites to earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support.
We are pleased to announce that if you live in Canada we now have an Amazon.CA Shop Page. We have matched up as many items as we can from our US shop page. Occasionally there are differences in brands and or packaging size. Amazon.ca/shop/nutmegnotebook
A Nutmeg Notebook Online Course. Beautiful Chopped Salad Course Link
Tami Kramer’s Beautiful Chopped Salad Course includes a complete full color 40+ page recipe PDF eBook and 12 instructional videos. In the course Tami will teach you how to batch prep salads, what to shop for, and tips to ensure that your stored salads will last for a week. She will share different methods for chopping salads, and all the details about how she tops these beauties. Included are 25 different ways to top a chopped salad, 5 oil free salad dressings, gluten free croutons and crunchy toppings, hummus, salsa’s and more! Please enjoy the course videos at your own pace. There are approximately 2 1/2 hours of instruction spread over the 12 individual topic videos. When completed you will be well on your way to enjoying these beautiful, chopped salads as often as you wish, perhaps even daily as Tami does.
We are also Holland Bowl Mill Affiliates. The 15 inch Holland Bowl Mill Cherry fruit bowl has a permanent home on our kitchen island. It’s beautiful and useful. The heart shaped bowl makes me happy – I love everything heart shaped! We use our 15 inch Beechwood & cherry bowl (his and her’s) to chop our salads everyday. Eating a salad for one meal every day helped me lose weight and become a size 4. I still eat a salad for one meal a day but now it’s a Big Beautiful Chopped salad and it helps me stay a size 4! See the Chopped Salad Blog Post to find out how you can incorporate a chopped salad into your daily food plan and how you can get a free mezzaluna knife with your Holland Bowl salad bowl order when you use our Holland Bowl affiliate link as well as free engraving and free shipping.